I have so many fond memories of being at Padres games with my dad and tailgating with friends growing up. He used to have a VW van, a bright red one. We’d pile in, me and my bros and take, at the time, Pat’s Potato Salad and Baked Beans. Since then he’s been named Papa by Crazy Kid. I love this Potato Salad and Baked Beans so much I always ask my dad to bring them to BBQs. Both are so good with a burger and I love to mix them together; I can’t have one without the other. The sweet beans with the cold crisp and fresh potatoes is a perfect mix. I like to add mustard on top of the potato salad :)
Papa’s Potato Salad
- White Rose Potatoes. About 8-10 for a group of 8-10 people. Boil potatoes until they are done, then test with a fork.
- 8-10 Potatoes – Sliced
- 5 Stalks of Celery – Diced
- Small Red Onion – Chopped
- 6-8 Eggs – Diced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Mayo or until desired consistency
- Mustard (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
Combine all of the above in a very large mixing bowl, gently fold the ingredients. If you are storing in the fridge for the night you may want to go easy on the Mayo and add a tiny bit more before the event.
Papa’s Baked Beans
- Van Kamps pork and beans – for a large group use two of the tall cans, for a smaller group, and you will want leftovers, use one tall and one of the shorter #2 cans.
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs. of bacon diced
- 1 – ½ onions diced
- Add salt, pepper, mustard (the yellow French’s), and molasses. You will need to do these by taste and color.
Cook the bacon until nearly done then add the onion and cook until the onions are translucent, then drain the fat. Poor the beans into a bowl and remove the piece of pork that will be in the beans. Add bacon and onion mixture. Pour the mixture into a bean terrine (if you have one) or into a casserole dish and bake for at least one hour at 350 degrees. If you like, cook longer until the surface gets the way you like it.
If you aren’t lucky enough to be tailgating, then you at least will be happy to be at home with your blender to make this awesome drink from Teresa Howes, the author of Skinnytinis.
Click here to check out the recipe.
If you ARE going to the game try out Teresa’s favorite Tailgating drink:
- Light Beer
- Cheap White Wine
- Diet Sprite
Chill and mix, Teresa says it’s the best tailgating drink ever :)
Need more tailgate ideas? Check out this lineup:
Pre Game Warm-ups:
- Sausage Balls by My Catholic Kitchen
- Edamame Hummus by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Rueben Dip by The Meltaways
- Buffalo Wing Hummus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Smokey Guacamole with Bacon by Family Spice
- Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pull Apart by In the Kitchen with KP
- Boneless Honey BBQ Chicken Wings by Juanita’s Cocina
- Candied Pecans by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Swabian Mini Meatballs (Schwaebische Mini Fleischkuechle) by Galactosemia in PDX
- Joe Montana’s Touchdown Guacamole by Noshing with the Nolands
- Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites by Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Hot & Spicy Popcorn Chicken by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites by Family Foodie
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Game Day Loaded Nachos by The Messy Baker
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Home Cooking Memories
- Southwestern Spring Rolls by Supper for a Steal
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs by Comfy Cuisine
- Roasted Garlic Bacon Dip with Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips by Daily Dish Recipes
- Beer Battered Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Fritters by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs by Soni’s Food for Thought
On the Sidelines:
- Anne’s Best Potato Salad with Bacon and Peas by Webicurean
- Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes by Ruffles and Truffles
- Spicy BBQ Baked Beans by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Papa’s Potato Salad & Baked Beans by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich by Cooking Underwriter
- Pollo Adobado con Papas (Adobo Chicken with Potatoes) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Poor Man’s Burrito by Shockingly Delicious
- Ham and Mushroom Handpies by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Individual Muffuletta Sandwiches by Magnolia Days
- Far East Steak Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Italian Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hot Chicken Chili by Momma’s Meals
- Louisiana Sloppy Joes by Sustainable Dad
- Hawaiian Chicken Wraps by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grandpa Sal’s Sausage and Peppers by Daddy Knows Less
- Fancy Filet Chili by I Run for Wine
- Homemade Italian Sausage by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Jalapeno Crockpot Chili by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Flavorful Fall Marinade by Midlife Road Trip
- Moose Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Zucchini Cupcakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Oven-Baked Churros by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Swirl Nutella Cupcakes by Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles by Gotta Get Baked
From the Cooler:
Wine Pairings by Wine Everyday
Don’t forget to join us on twitter at 7pm ET to talk all things tailgate. Usetweetchat to follow along with #SundaySupper.
We’d also love to feature your tailgating recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share your menu with all of our followers!